UGG slippers are well-loved for their comfort and style. However, cleaning them can sometimes be a challenge. Whether it’s an accidental spill, general wear over time, or a persistent smell, keeping your UGG slippers fresh is important. In this guide, we’ll go over how to clean your UGG slippers at home, with or without a kit.
Can You Clean UGG Slippers?
Yes, you can and should clean your UGG slippers, but it’s important to do it correctly to avoid damaging the material. UGGs are usually made from delicate sheepskin, so they require special care during cleaning.
What You’ll Need
To clean your slippers, you’ll need the following:
- Cold water
- A gentle fabric cleaner (specifically designed for sheepskin if possible)
- A soft cloth or sponge
- White vinegar (for tough stains)
- Baking soda (for odor removal)
- A dry towel
- A cool, shaded area for drying
If you’re wondering how to clean UGG slippers without a kit, don’t worry. Most of these items can be found around your home.
Cleaning the Outside of Your UGG Slippers
- Spot Clean: For small stains, dampen your cloth or sponge with a little cold water and a small amount of fabric cleaner. Gently rub the stain until it lifts. Avoid soaking the material.
- Clean the Entire Outside: If the whole slipper needs cleaning, dampen your cloth or sponge, apply a small amount of cleaner, and gently wash the outside of the slipper. Again, be careful not to soak the material.
- Rinse: Once you’ve cleaned the outside, use a clean, damp cloth to rinse off the cleaner. Ensure you remove all soap residue as it can leave marks when dried.
- Dry: After rinsing, use a dry towel to blot out any excess water. Reshape your slippers and leave them in a cool, shaded area to dry naturally. Never apply direct heat or leave them in the sun, as this can cause shrinkage or color fading.
Cleaning the Inside of Your UGG Slippers
Cleaning the inside of your UGG slippers is crucial, especially if they’ve developed an odor. Here’s how:
- Deodorize: Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda inside your UGG slippers and let them sit overnight. The baking soda will absorb any foul odors.
- Vacuum: The next day, vacuum out the baking soda. Make sure you get it all, so it doesn’t create a mess when you wear your slippers next.
- Spot Clean: If there are specific stains inside your slippers, use the same spot cleaning method mentioned above. Be sure to fully rinse out any soap to avoid creating suds the next time you wear your slippers.
- Dry: Like with the outside, allow your slippers to dry naturally in a cool, shaded area.
Can You Dry Clean UGG Slippers?
UGG does not recommend dry cleaning for their slippers because the harsh chemicals used in dry cleaning can damage the sheepskin. The methods mentioned above are typically sufficient for most cleaning needs.
Cleaning your UGG slippers doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Whether you’re spot cleaning a small stain or refreshing the entire slipper, it can be done effectively at home. Just remember to always use gentle cleaning products and avoid soaking your slippers. With proper care and regular cleaning, you can extend the life of your UGG slippers and keep them looking their best.